Happy Dhanteras 2021
“May the blessings of Lord Kuber and Lord Dhanvantari showers on you always.”
According to hindu calendar the festival of dhanteras is celebrated on the thirteenth day of the krishna paksha of kartik month. Dhanteras does not have a fixed date according to the english calendar. Dhanteras is one of the celebrations of the Five Days of Diwali festival.
Dhanteras is a combination of two Sanskrit words. ‘Dhan’ refers to money or wealth, and ‘teras’ which means thirteen. Dhanteras is also known as dhanvantari trayodashi or dhanatrayodashi. This day is believed to buy new utensils and gold or silver jewelry. People worship goddess laxmi on this day.
The dhanteras festival is celebrated by worshipping goddess laxmi. It is believed that this goddess laxmi has arrived from the sea during the sea churning. The name of that sea churning is Samudra Manthan.
During the samudra manthan, the dev (God) and asur (devil) were fighting for the divine nectar of immortality, that is Amrit. As a result of the dev asur sangram, the one of the many incarnations of Vishnu, goddess of medicine and wealth, goddess laxmi came out of the sea with a jar in her hand having the elixir.
That is why this day is celebrated as dhantrayodashi or dhanteras. It is believed that if people worship goddess laxmi and kuber on this day then they will get wealth.
- The celebration of diwali is a five day celebration. Dhanteras is one of them. People worship lord kuber and goddess laxmi on this day. Here we are going to talk about the celebration of dhanteras.
- On the day of dhanteras, people wake up early in the morning and go to goddess laxmi’s temple and worship her. Then they go to the market and buy new utensils and golden jewelry and worship goddess laxmi and lord kuber for the wealth of their family.
- In the evening people take baths and wear new clothes and then gather with them for the laxmi puja. First they worship lord ganesha, as it is believed that before any ritual lord ganesha is worshipped. Then after worshipping him they chant mantras such as
“Vakra-Tunndda Maha-Kaaya Suurya-Kotti Samaprabha |
Nirvighnam KuruMe Deva Sarva-Karyeshu Sarvada ||”
- Then after worshipping lord ganesha people worship goddess laxmi. First they offer red colored clothes and nine varieties of grains are offered to goddess laxmi. Then people chant the mantras
“Om Namo Bhagavate Maha Sudharshana Vasudevaya Dhanvantaraye; Amrutha Kalasa Hasthaaya Sarva Bhaya Vinasaya Sarva amaya Nivaranaya Thri Lokya Pathaye Thri Lokya Nidhaye Sri Maha Vishnu Swarupa Sri Dhanvantri Swarupa Sri Sri Sri Aoushata Chakra Narayana Swaha”
- After worshipping goddess laxmi, people pray to lord kuber for good health and wealth by offering him flowers, incense, fruits and sweets and diya. Then they chant mantras such as
“Om Yakshyaya Kuberaya Vaishravanaaya Dhana Dhanya Pradayeh
Dhana-Dhanya Samreeddhing Me Dehi Dapaya Swaha”
- Apart from all these people decorate their houses and make rangoli to welcome goddess laxmi and lord ganesha and lord kuber. A lot of people even draw small footprints with rice flour and vermilion (sindoor) powder. This is a representation of goddess Lakshmi entering their abodes.
Goddess laxmi is known as the goddess of health,wealth,purity and prosperity. She is the consort of the lord Vishnu.
The goddess Laxmi’s pictures are very beautiful in which she is sitting on a beautiful lotus flower. In his two hands she is having two beautiful flowers and giving blessings with other two hands. Two elephants are standing near her in the water. Lord laxmi loves red clothes.
FACTS ABOUT GODDESS LAXMI
As we all know, that goddess laxmi is the goddess of money and wealth. But there are some unknown facts about her which very few people know. We are sharing here some of them with you.
- Goddess laxmi has four hands which represents four goals that are Dharma, Kama, Artha, and Moksha.
- The elephants on the two sides of her represents the royal power.
- She had once abandoned the Gods when she felt they had taken for granted the victories in the battles they won against the demons. They were victorious only through her presence and blessings.
- She is the only goddess who gives strength to all gods.
- The lotus represents wealth because it grows from muddy water, but does not get wet.
- Srija, Kamala, Padma, and Padmapriya are some of the names of goddess laxmi which are associated with lotus.
- The benchmark for the rituals and ceremonies for the bride and groom in Hindu weddings are the relation between vishnu and laxmi.
- The owl is the vehicle of goddess laxmi.
- Goddess laxmi wears red saari that represents the activity and positive energy.
- When lord vishnu took the incarnation of Ram,then goddess laxmi took the incarnation of Sita.
- When lord Vishnu incarnated as Krishna goddess Laxmi incarnated as Rukmini.
- Goddess Kali in Kolkata is worshiped in the form of Mahalakshmi during Diwali.
- Goddess laxmi loves sri yantra.
WHAT TO BUY ON DHANTERAS
It is believed that buying new things on the day of dhanteras is good. People buy different types of things on this day. Here have mentioned some of the things that are considered auspicious to buy on Dhanteras.
- Electronic items.
- Business related stuff.
- Gold jewelry.
People buy brooms on this day because it is believed that buying a broom removes all the financial problems associated with the home.
Electronic items shopping is also considered auspicious on this day.
Buying coriander on the day of dhanteras brings happiness and peace to the house.
Buying utensils is good for you. People consider buying brass utensils but steel and silver utensils are not bad.
BUSINESS RELATED STUFF:
Buying business related stuff on this day is beneficial for your business.
Goddess laxmi loves golden jewelry and buying gold on this day is good for your family’s wealth.
“May Dhanteras Festival Wishing you with Wealth & Prosperity As you journey towards greater success”
We wish you liked our content. Thanks for visiting.
Wishing you and your family a very happy and wealth full dhanteras festival.
Happy Dhanteras Tuesday, 2 November